Services and Specialties
I am committed to helping children, teens, young adults and families thrive in every aspect of their lives. I provide the following clinical services:
*Individual Counseling and therapy for children (9-12), teens (13-17) and young adults (18+).
*Family therapy and counseling for many different kinds of families: blended, single parent, traditional, foster/adoptive, and families where children are being raised by grandparents or extended family members.
*Intensive individual and family therapy for high risk behaviors including alcohol and drug use, suicidal behaviors, self-mutilation and cutting, running away
I address the following clinical issues:
- Behavioral problems (such as a oppositional or defiant behaviors)
- Aggression and anger-management
- Attention difficulties and learning issues
- Video game and other electronic addiction(s)
- Peer pressure and bullying
- School refusal, school phobia, selective mutism
- Suicidality and self-injurious behavior (cutting)
- Depression and anxiety disorders (related to academic, social issues or recent changes and loss)
- Substance abuse
- Self-esteem and self-confidence
- Eating disorders and body image issues
- Social issues (difficulty making or keeping friends), social skills training
- Sibling rivalry, parent/child conflicts
- Gender and sexual identity issues
- Divorce reaction and blended family dynamics
- Issues associated with abuse/neglect, grief, loss and trauma
Family Counseling and Therapy
- Parent child relationship conflicts
- Reducing tension and negativity within family
- Improving communication and listening skills
- Establishing appropriate boundaries, structure, and consistency in the home
- Discovering new ways to solve problems in the family
- Increasing positive family interaction and improve family relationships
- Get more enjoyment and reinforcement out of your relationship with your child and as a family
I utilize a creative and eclectic approach tailored to each individual’s, needs, strengths and choices. Theoretical orientations include, but are not limited to:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Reality Therapy, Post Modern Therapies such as Brief Solution Focused Therapy/Narrative Therapy (for shorter term therapy), Family Systems Therapy, Psychoanalytic/Psychodynamic Therapy and Expressive Art and Play Therapy Techniques.
Due to my extensive experience working with children and adolescents, I know that it is essential to provide comprehensive treatment to ensure best practices as well as success for the child/teen. This means that in order for therapy to be truly effective, it must go beyond the office. With parental consent, I will work collaboratively with all parties that play an important role in the client’s life be it teachers, coaches, and/or other professionals, in order to evaluate and treat difficulties that may be occurring in more than one setting. Emotional, behavioral and social problems usually occur in a multitude of settings. My role is to assist parents in advocating for their child and to provide coordination and consistency among all providers so as to best support and assist the child/family. This ultimately provides the building blocks needed to promote the daily structure and consistency that strengthens encouragement, supports them in reaching their highest potential and meeting their therapeutic goals.